After painting my 3D printed model of the McIntyre Headframe, I picked a suitable eggshell that had been chipped out on the front and back. To patch up the holes leftover from draining the contents, I used a couple small pieces of paper bandage tape. The egg was then set down on a wine bottle cap for working with – the cap will eventually be the model’s stand.
A (way too large) small quantity of Plaster of Paris was mixed up in an old pudding cup and then scooped into the egg using a steel potter’s tool. The picture below also shows a scrap 3D printing raft, which I was considering laying in with the plaster, but later I decided the plaster alone was sufficient.
This is a close-up of the empty egg and model headframe.
Next, I started scooping in the mixed plaster with the pottery tool. (One end is like a very small spoon, the other end is like small painter’s knife.) I am using the plaster as snow for this scene – the plaster looks lumpy, because I had mixed in a glittery acrylic medium (the acrylic was getting old and coagulated), but most of it was covered by the opacity of the plaster.
A close-up view of the headframe mounted into the wet plaster in the egg. I put a squash seed beside it for comparison. The background is the controls of the washing machine doubling as another workbench.
A shot of the egg model with the materials used. The object that looks like a large hypodermic minus its needle is a novelty shot glass (hence the 1/2 and 1 oz measurements) that makes an excellent slip trailing tool and paint applicator among other things. I was going to use it for the plaster, but it was too thick and easier to just scoop into the egg.