Maneki Neko Teapot Progress

The week’s progress was marked by several attempts at different components on the teapot. I added a tail handle (deliberately off-centre a little to make it look like a natural tail), made a bell (after 3 or 4 attempts at the hollow shape) and fitted her hat-ears lid after opening up the top of her head. I’ve also defined her nose by pushing out part of the head “ball” to give her more of a cat-like face.

IMG_1746-0

The teapot, as seen from the rear with the head cut open on the top.

 

IMG_1745-0

The front view of the teapot without the lid (and the corner of my glasses in the shot (the iPod I’m using to photograph only has a webcam that faces the screen, which makes it difficult to line up shots without peering up underneath it).

IMG_1744

A rather odd angle: looking up inside the bell around the cat’s neck. The white ball inside is a piece of air-dried clay that should rattle around, even after firing (part of the bell won’t be glazed).

IMG_1742

IMG_1743

Two views of the hat-ears lid with an added flange to fit inside the head – I put a steam vent on the lid, too.

IMG_1747

The Maneki Neko’s progress at the end of the evening’s session. The lid was fitted in for this picture, then removed and replaced with a piece of plastic in between to keep the pieces from fusing together until next week.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Pottery and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s